Wednesday, April 07, 2010

EVERYTHING SMOOTHLY FLOW SHOULD . . . IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

I posted early with Pesach, and I'm late with a story from last Christmas. Jay just completed his seventh year with JetBlue. It's his favorite job EVER, but to me the company's Christmas party was a total dud. Bei mir bist ein shonda. We live in the most extreme southeast suburb of Denver; the party was at a restaurant in the most extreme northwest suburb of Denver. It was cold and we had to park three blocks away. It was Asian food with not one dish on the menu that DIDN'T contain pork. I got them to bring me a bowl of rice and some steamed broccoli. JetBlue gave each employee a $25 gift card for Best Buy, so I guess the long drive and three-block hike were worth it. I like parties, but not this one. No one I approached for a conversation was willing to have one. I asked one employee’s wife what she did; she told me she has seven children and was never in the workforce. Did she ask ME what I do? No. I asked her some stuff about her children, and she told me; but did she ask ME if I had any children? No. Pretty much the same thing went on with two other people I tried; so I sat in a corner and pouted. (No, I didn’t. Just checking to see if you’re paying attention.) But that’s how I felt that night: WILL SOMEONE PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!! WHERE ARE YOUR SOCIAL GRACES??? So I hung around with Jay and made nice to his colleagues and smiled a lot. I can only hope that they thought I was his trophy wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment