Friday, March 12, 2010

IT COSTS HOW MUCH TO EAT BRISKET, BORSHT, AND A NICE PIECE OF CAKE?

Grandma spoke Yiddish; to her a fork was a goppel, a spoon was a leffel, and a knife was a messer. I thought of her while looking for a new set of silverware (in English). What we have is old and worn, and almost every piece has at one time or another been in the garbage disposal. It gives new meaning to the word shonda. I went to Crate & Barrel's Web page and found what I wanted. But some stuff I found on the Net is . . . I don't even have a word for it in Yiddish OR English; "absurd" comes close. The most expensive (take a look; I didn't buy it) was $1,020 for ONE four-piece place setting. The blurb said it was inspired by caveman utensils. All that money, and it doesn't even have a salad fork? A shayna dank in pupik!!

I'm a committed minimalist, but primitive (EXPENSIVE primitive) I can do without.

No comments:

Post a Comment